The Lakeville City Clerk’s Office will guide you through the required steps to appear on the ballot. All municipal seats are nonpartisan.
2024 Important Dates
- July 30: Candidate filing for City Council opens
- August 13: Candidate filing for City Council closes
- August 15: Candidate withdrawal deadline
How Do I Become a Candidate?
- Candidates must be:
- At least 21 years old upon assuming office
- Not running for another office in the upcoming election
- A Lakeville resident at least 30 days before the general election
Before your name can appear on the ballot, you must take the following steps:
- Review candidate eligibility requirements, the candidate information packet, and the required financial reports.
- File for office at the Lakeville City Clerk’s Office, 20195 Holyoke Avenue, during the open filing period.
- You will need to complete an affidavit of candidacy and pay the $40 filing fee.
- Your name will appear on the ballot exactly as you write it in the top box of the Minnesota affidavit of candidacy form.
- While campaigning and preparing for this election, you must ensure that your financial reports are current and that you are filing all required reports with the City Clerk’s Office.
Candidate Packet and Financial Reports
The candidate information packet provides general information on running for Lakeville City Council. Candidates should seek their own legal counsel to ensure their efforts comply with the law.
- 2024 Candidate Information Packet (coming soon)
State law and Lakeville’s City Code require candidates to file several financial reports.
- Visit our Campaign Finance Reports page for more information and to download the required forms (coming soon).
If you have additional questions, email our City Clerk or call 952-985-4404.