February 24, 2024
Lakeville Area Arts Center
20965 Holyoke Avenue
Lakeville, MN 55044
Snow Dyeing and Shibori
Saturday, February 24, 2024
Learn how to create colorful textiles and designs with snow and non-toxic fiber reactive dyes. During this workshop we will touch on a handful of contemporary and traditional shibori techniques to create beautiful, evocative watercolor designs using snow. (Shibori is the ancient Japanese form of resist dyeing that creates beautiful designs and patterns.) You do not need any artistic background to participate and will leave with a statement scarf that is sure to be a conversation starter. Students will create an oversized 54" x 54" bamboo scarf and have the option to bring four additional items from home.
- 1 pair of latex gloves (the yellow kind used for dishes are fine.)
- 2 clamps
- 5 gallon bucket for transporting your work home w/ snow + a dish-tub for transporting your work home w/ snow
- If need be, you can get a disposable oven pan, or check the dollar store for a large plastic bowl, for transporting your work home w/ snow
- 1 garbage bag (used for transporting your work home with snow)
- 1 ball of cotton string
- You will have the opportunity to bring four additional projects from home. These can be pieces you want to over-dye... pillow cases, white t-shirts, (if you have a stained white sundress, this is a stellar way to give it a second life). The pieces must be made from natural fibers, such as cotton, linen or silk. No synthetics.